Information for International Students (Incomings)

Welcome to the Munich School of Engineering!

Are you studying at one of our partner universities and interested in an exchange semester at our faculty?

Then you will find important information on preparation, application and stay in our flyer and on the following pages. Please also refer to the pages of the TUM Global & Alumni Office.

 

Students from abroad can take between one and three exchange semesters at the MSE, an internship (also for projects or thesis modules) or else they can take a full-time degree. The MSE does not offer the possibility of taking a double degree.

It is a prerequisite that your home university has an exchange agreement with the Technical University of Munich (TUM). Find out about MSE Erasmus cooperations and other TUM partner universities.

Before you can apply as an exchange student at TUM / MSE, you must be selected by your home university and nominated via the e-nomination system.

Then read the following TUM International Center pages to find about the application process and how to organize the program you wish to take.

Application period

  • Winter semester: March 15 – May 15
  • Summer semester: September 15 – October 31

Since the German semester times are considerably shifted in international comparison, an early, exact planning of the stay abroad is very important:

Winter semester: 01 October to 31 March

Summer semester: 01 April to 30 September

The semester is divided into lecture time and lecture-free time. The examinations usually take place after the lecture period.

A Transcript of Records for the home university about successfully passed exams can be downloaded and printed after your stay in TUMonline. The Transcript of Records is valid without a signature.

To study at TUM for one or two terms, you must compile a learning agreement or study plan. A minimum of 60 percent of courses must be from MSE's study programme. You can choose the other 40 percent of courses from the other TUM faculties. Language courses do not count.

Generally, all courses and seminars which take place at the TUM can be found in the Campus-Management-System TUMonline.

Grundsätzlich sind alle Kurse und Seminare, die an der TUM stattfinden, im Campus-Management-Sytem TUMonline eingetragen. In TUMonline you can either search for modules or courses. A module may consist of several courses. You will find detailed information on the course, content, ECTS, recommended previous knowledge, language and cycle in the module manual and in the detailed view of the course.

MSE's interdisciplinary study programme consists of modules from almost all TUM faculties. For your learning agreement or study plan, choose courses from the following list.

When choosing your course, please make sure that you have the necessary professional qualifications. The courses actually taking place during the exchange semester are not fixed until 4 to 6 weeks before the beginning of the semester. Therefore, it is advisable to coordinate your learning agreement or study plan with the course offer at the start of the semester. If necessary, you can change your course choice after consulting your home university.

The Language Centre at the TUM offers various language courses for incoming students to improve their German language skills. German courses are offered at different levels. An intensive German as a foreign language course takes place before the start of the semester.

In addition, incoming students can choose from a variety of foreign language courses.

Registration is via TUMonline. Due to the high demand, timely registration is important!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

There are various options for financing your stay:

In addition to going through the TUM application process, there are other matters to be considered such as a visa, insurance, language skills, certificates, accommodation etc.

You will information on all formalities on the following pages:

Please also note the information on living in Munich and in particular the support provided by TUMinternational (TUMi).

After your arrival in Munich, you should allow yourself at least a week to get organized before classes start.

For general inquiries international exchange students can contact the TUM International Center.

For specific questions on the MSE please contact the International Affairs Delegate at the MSE Academic Programs Office.